When is the last time you thought about anti-aging for your body? We spend so much time and money stressing over our face and yet our bodies show how old we are just as much, if not more. I have recently made it my mission to be just as conscious about my body and skin below my chin.
Let’s think about what signs of aging our bodies show:
Sagging Skin, wrinkles, thinning skin, sun damage from years prior, age spots, veins, cellulite.. must I go on?
Elbows and Hands are the first places that show age!
If we are using so many peels, serums, cremes to keep our faces young, we should be doing similar treatments to our bodies. Of all the skincare I’ve put my clients in the last 2 years, the things no one wants to splurge on are body products. I get it- I’ve been you. I still am you in some sense.
Here’s why I (and I assume others) have blown it off:
1. The Time!! Who has the time? I have to force myself to put lotion on because it takes forever and I’m cold after the shower.
2. Product Education. I never condone running and buying something skin related because you saw an ad for it. Skincare is something that needs to be customized to you. That said, we do spend so much attention on our face because we are constantly seeing ad’s for skincare, hearing about new procedures in the news and comparing ourselves to our favorite celebs. We just don’t hear about body products.
Flashback: Remember that scene in Devil Wears Prada when Meryl Streep was talking about the blue scarf? She talked about it coming from the top designers and trickling down into department stores and eventually bargain bins? It’s the same with the Beauty Industry. The top beauty companies, say Estee Lauder for example, spend millions of dollars to research a particular product and after launching a new product with one of their brands (i.e. Origins, La Mer, Aveda..), then companies like P&G will launch cheap alternatives with one of their brands and pay to market it and thats what you’re seeing ads from. It’s going to take drugstore brands to start marketing “luxury” lotions or body serums in order for people to start becoming more aware.
3. It doesn’t seem as important.
All of this is crazy. We should love our bodies as much as our face and take the time to treat our skin equally! Here’s some of the best products I’ve found, recommend (and currently use):
(These products kill those stubborn clogged hair follicles that make skin bumpy and gross!)
1. Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Body Towels
These have saved my legs. I use them about 2-3 times a week after the shower and before I put lotion on. Zero ingrown hairs anymore.
2. Kate Somerville Exfolikate Body
Exfolikate face is super famous, and it’s body sidekick is quickly becoming the world’s most popular body exfoliator. Try it!!
3. Mario Badescu AHA Body Wash
For $8 you can’t find a better AHA Body Wash! This helps exfoliate on a daily basis. Although it’s on and off your skin in a flash this really helps if you’re someone who somehow produces a lot of dead skin or if you have body acne problems.
Anti-Aging Moisturizers for Body
My ultimate favorite body lotion for simple upgraded skincare
2. Kate Somerville Nourish Body Lotion
I’ve been using this one for a week now and my skin is so supple and soft. It absorbs right away as well.
This one is AMAZING. I mixed it into my Ahava body lotion so it’s a bit diluted and pumps out better.
4. La Mer Reparative Body Lotion
Need I say more?
5. Shiseido Future Solutions Body Cream
Ultimate in Luxury Body Cream. This will lift, Firm, and give you back decades.
6. Amorepacific ‘Time Response’ Hand Cream/Bobbi Brown Hand Cream/ La Mer ‘The Hand Treatment’/ Diptyque Hand Balm
Amore Pacific is great because you don’t need to reapply. Bobbi’s is heavenly for me as I destroy my hands with sanitizer and washing all day long. La Mer is really reparative, Diptyque’s feels like silk. Choose one, use it.
7. Glytone Foot Cream (This stuff is unreal. Dead skin will just fall off in the shower the next morning. Sounds gross but whatever it’s true.)
1. Kate Somerville D-Scar makes even the oldest scars fade not only in color, but in texture as well.
2. Glycolic/Salycilic Acid Peels on your body eliminate clogged pores and give you fresh younger skin.
What covers imperfections best? Color!
1. St. Tropez Foaming Self-Tanner with Mitt
What is the most anti-aging you can do for your body after all of this?
S U N S C R E E N – if you’re doing anything with AHA’s (acids), you have to use sunscreen or you will make yourself more susceptible to sunburns and skin cancer.
1. Supergoop SPF 50 Sunscreen Spray. For the laziest of lazy this just sprays on and you’re good to go. use it as a “topcoat” over your anti-aging body lotion.