I feel there is a Coconut Craze among us. The superfood is everywhere and just as amazing as it’s popular predecessor Coconut Water (which is still extremely popular and delicious), Organic Coconut Oil is being raved about everywhere. I’ve been waiting a while to post a blog on this because I wanted to give it time to see various results. Everyone on this planet should have a jar in their house. Here’s why:
1. It’s inexpensive and has a million uses, which we will get to in a second but most importantly this isn’t something you have to stretch your wallet to obtain. Because of the popularity growing I can see inflation happening in the future because of demand. I order mine on Amazon and get a giant tub for under $15 (http://amzn.to/1h6UZ25).
2. I use it as a hair mask and it has saved my split ends as it has a naturally perfect pH to seal cuticle. Make sure you shampoo long afterward as it’s sometimes tricky to get out.
3. Cosmetic Purposes: I use this as a lip balm, eye mask (leave on for 15 minutes and tissue off),and a brow and lash nourisher (some say it grows them). I mix in glycolic acid and pack it on my feet before bed, I use it on my nail cuticles.. I also use it as a night cream and also on breakouts as it is deeply hydrating as is naturally anti-bacterial. Some websites disagree and say it’s very comedogenic and other websites say the opposite. My experience is that it only heals.
4. I eat it. This type of oil doesn’t turn to fat, it goes straight to your liver and cleanses it. Some people who eat it religiously (I’m not quite there yet) have lost weight from it. Other studies have claimed that it helps prevent and reverse Alzheimer’s disease.
5. Oil-Pulling: Scoop a good amount into your mouth and leave it there. It will melt fairly fast and swish it around for 15-20 min. It will naturally whiten your teeth, heal cavities and toothaches and draw out bad bacteria from your gums preventing periodontal disease. <<That right there is definitely worth purchasing it.
6. Body cream- I use this on my body wherever I’ve just shaved. It calms down any would-be inflammation and leaves my skin soft, supple and smelling beachy. I love applying to my armpits especially before deodorant. I also love this on any irritation or to soothe my skin after a chemical peel.
7. Cooking! Did you know Olive Oil isn’t meant for cooking at high temperatures? This is why a lot of food gets burnt quickly. Coconut Oil can be cooked at a very high temperature making this the perfect healthy alternative to vegetable and olive oils.
8. Sunscreen!? Organic Coconut Oil has a natural sunscreen of SPF10, which is great for people who want to stay away from chemical sunscreens. Obviously 10 isn’t that high but it’s still pretty cool!
9. For you hippies… because of the natural antibacterial properties, the melt upon body heat and the taste and smell.. many people choose to use this as a lubricant. Haven’t gone that far to test, sorry.
10. Coconut oil kills yeast.. also haven’t tried but definitely would if that situation happens.
Seriously, make #OCO (I just made that up- think it will catch on?) part of your lifestyle! It’s not a trend, it’s just a wonderful product that does so many things for your health.